Select Language

Future Students

Earn college credit while still in high school

Get a jump start on college by earning college credits while still in high school. If you are motivated and focused, several options are available.

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement (AP) gives high school students an opportunity to take college level courses while in high school. High school instructors find that AP courses enhance their students’ confidence and academic interest; and college faculty report that AP students are well prepared for higher education.


Students who attend the Jackson Area Career Center, LISD TECH or Hillsdale Workforce Development & Technology Center and successfully complete requirements in eligible programs may receive JCC credit toward a certificate or an associate degree.

For details, talk with your instructor or call JCC Student Services at 517.796.8425, or the JCC location nearest you.

Dual Enrollment

Another way to earn college credit, save money and actually attend college while still in high school is through dual enrollment. Under Michigan’s Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act, high school juniors and seniors may be able to take college courses with the tuition and fees covered by the high school.

Dual enrollment programs offer students many benefits:

  • Earn credit while in high school.
  • Explore subjects not available at your high school.
  • Save money on college tuition.

Ask your counselor if you meet the eligibility requirements for dual enrollment. Dual enrollment can save you money!

High school guest students

If you do not meet the dual enrollment requirements, you may still enroll as a high school guest student with the permission of your parent or guardian and high school. High school guest students are responsible for the cost of college courses.

Getting started

Contact your high school counselor or instructor about earning college credit in high school. You may also call JCC at 1.888.522.7344.

Bookmark and Share