High School Students
What do you want to do?
Your major or program will be the primary area of study for your college education. After you graduate, it will be important to getting your first job and building your career. Some majors may lend themselves to a variety of occupations, while others are quite specific.
Not sure what major is right for you? Start by asking yourself some questions…
- What do I enjoy doing?
- What am I good at; in what subject did I get good grades?
- Where do I want to be in 10 years? What are my life goals?
- How much money do I hope to make?
- How much schooling will be required for my possible career fields?
- Can I have this career where I currently live, or will I have to relocate?
You may also speak with teachers, parents, counselors and others about what career opportunities may best suit you. Job shadowing is a great way to explore what a career is like. Find career exploration resources at the www.michigan.gov/careers, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm.