Contact: Marilynn Fryer
Feb. 18, 2009
For immediate release
For immediate release
Women's soccer signs players
Jackson Community College’s women’s soccer program signed new players recently.
- Courtney Lewis, senior at Paw Paw High School, is a goalkeeper with the Paw Paw Redskins. She also plays with the Red Arrow Soccer Club. She was named to the Division III All District teams in 2007 and 2008, and she holds her school record for shut-outs in a single season and in a career. She is also a SADD officer and Peer Assistant Leader. “Courtney has a solid resume with great numbers and lots of shut-outs against solid competition,” coach Andy Hosmer said. “She is a very hard worker and will give us an added dimension to our goalkeeping.”
- Jessica Penny is a 2008 graduate of St. Clair Shores Lakeview High School where she started for four years on varsity for the Huskies. She received All League honors for the Macomb Area Conference, All Regional Division II, All District Division II, M.A.C. All Conference, was a two-year team captain for the 2007-08 M.A.C. champions and 2007 regional finalists. She was also named to the All Academic team for the Macomb Area Conference. “Jessica is one of the most dynamic soccer players I’ve come across. Her soccer skill and intellect should set her apart in our region, and I’m confident that she will bolster our team’s attacking personality. This was a big signing for us,” Hosmer said.
- Alanna Tippin is a senior at Jackson Christian High School and plays for the Royal Knights. “Alanna is a strong attacking player with great speed and finishing skills. Her height will be useful around the net on our set pieces and corner kicks,” Hosmer said.
- Krista Mashak is a senior at Dansville High School and plays for the Aggies. She is a three-time winner of All State, All Conference (Southern Michigan Activities Association), All District and All Region Team honors. She holds her high school’s records for goals in a single season and for a career. She is a Lansing State Journal Dream Team member for 2008, and also made All State second team in basketball. She is a member of the National Honor Society Athletic Honors. “Krista is proven to be a prolific goal scorer with 111 current high school tallies. She adds even more firepower to our offense, and we will be looking to her to continue her great finishing at the collegiate level.”
- Jessica Box is a senior at New Palestine High School in New Palestine, Ind., where she plays for the Dragons. She was named Hancock County Player of the Year for 2008, All Hancock County and Indy Star East teams both her junior and senior years. She is a four-year varsity letter winner and earned the Most Assists Award her junior and senior years. She was also a member of the 2005 & 2006 State Cup Champions for her club team, the F.C. Pride. She is a member of the National Honor Society. “The greater Indianapolis area is renowned for the high level soccer played there. Jessica stood out even in that crowd of talent, and this a major signing for our program. She brings a level of soccer excellence and expertise to JCC that will really energize an already talent-laden roster.”
- Malerie Schatzle is a senior at Anchor Bay High School in New Baltimore. She plays midfield for the Anchor Bay Tars. She was named to the Division I All District Team and received Best Offensive Player Award. She is also a member of the honor roll. “Malerie is a high intensity work horse whose athleticism and well-rounded soccer skills will allow her to compete in any field position at the college level. Although she was an offensive power in high school, we will be looking for her to help bolster our squad at the defensive end and get the attack started from the back.”