Select Language

Transfer Information

About Four-Year Colleges or Universities

  • To obtain a bachelor’s degree, also called baccalaureate degree, undergraduate degree or four-year degree, you need to complete specific courses in a program of study.
  • You do not receive a bachelor’s degree for just attending college and passing courses for four years.
  • If you have a general idea of what you want to do, and what degree that requires, then start from transfer guides in that field rather than starting from MACRAO. For example, students intending to become elementary education teachers have very specific courses they should take depending on what University they plan to transfer to. This is often true for other careers.

But, if you really are undecided about what you want to do, then Start Your College Experience by

  • Completing lower-level (freshmen and sophomore level) general education requirements by following the MACRAO Agreement (see below)…Note: Some universities prefer you take specific courses within the MACRAO Agreement
  • Completing competencies
  • Beginning the major and minor or program requirements of your intended transfer college or university


A JC academic advisor can assist you in selecting general education courses that transfer to most community and four-year colleges in Michigan. The classes are part of the MACRAO Agreement (goes to a print-friendly page) - Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers - which is accepted by many Michigan colleges to ensure that the general education requirements you take at one institution will transfer to another. In addition to the courses in the MACRAO Agreement (goes to a print-friendly page) many popular transfer institutions require that graduates have competencies (goes to a print-friendly page) in areas such as mathematics, speech and computer literacy. Academic advisors at JCC will assist you in planning your transfer program. They can also provide transfer guides indicating JC courses that meet the requirements of various programs of study at four-year colleges.