Center for Student Success
Become a Tutor
- Must be currently enrolled at JCC in 6 or more credits.
- Have earned a 3.5 or better in the course you wish to tutor.
- If you are currently enrolled in a course you would like to tutor, your instructor must recommend you by contacting the Center.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
If you meet eligibility requirements and are interested in becoming a tutor, please fill a student tutor application by clicking here. Once your application is complete, contact CSS at 517.796.8415 or stop by Potter Center, Federer C.
Timesheets are due by noon on the due dates listed (Saturday). Failure to turn in times sheets by the posted deadline will result in delayed payment. In rare instances, timesheets will be accepted at other times and will be communicated to you by the CSS Coordinator. Time must also be entered electronically via e-Services.
Tutor Certification Program
The Center for Student Success is currently in Level I certification! We are very excited about this and encourage all tutors to strive for certification!
Important facts about tutoring certification:
- Sponsored by the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA), an international tutor certification organization that sets a standard of skills and training for tutors and provides recognition and reinforcement for tutors' successful work.
- Certifies programs at three levels
- Requires 10 hours of training and 25 hours of tutoring experience for each certification level
- Provides professional standards for tutor training
- Rewards tutors
- Establishes credibility for tutoring programs
- Is endorsed by the National Association for Developmental Education and Commission XVI, Academic Support in Higher Education, of the American College Personnel Association