** Important Messages **
To apply for a Federal Direct Loan at JC, you must complete the steps below in additional to completing the FAFSA.
The JC Federal Direct Loan Request Form for Fall/Winter 2015-2016 will be available in mid-June 2015.
Federal Direct Loan Application Process
The Subsidized Federal Direct Loan...
is based on financial need which is determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. A loan is "subsidized" when the government pays the interest for the student while the student is enrolled in school at least half time and during periods of authorized deferment. The student is responsible for all interest that accrues during the six-month grace period and repayment.
The Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan...
is not based on financial need. This loan is not subsidized by the government. The student is responsible for all interest that accrues during in-school, grace and deferment periods. Students may choose to make interest payments while in school or may defer (and accumulate) the interest until repayment.
Further details regarding the Direct Loan Program may be obtained from The Guide to Federal Student Aid ("Funding Education Beyond High School: The Guide to Federal Student Aid").
Federal Direct Loan Application Process
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- The JC Federal ID Code is 002274.
- The results of the FAFSA will be used to determine your loan eligibility.
- Parents interested in applying for a PLUS loan must also complete the FAFSA.
- We encourage students to apply for the Federal Direct Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized) prior to determining PLUS Loan eligibility.
Students must enroll in a MINIMUM of six (6) credits each semester
Students must do this in order to receive loan funding and use loan money for educational expenses for attendance at Jackson College (JC). Your loan application will be processed based on our institutional cost of attendance. If you drop below six credit hours, your future loan disbursement(s) will be cancelled. If you withdraw from your class(es), you may be subject to having to repay a portion of your loan funds immediately to JC. The amount you have to repay will be determined in accordance to the U.S. Department of Education’s Return of Title IV Funds policy.
Students must be in good academic standing
Students must be making satisfactory academic progress towards completing their JC degree or certificate program. Good academic standing means maintaining a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0. Satisfactory academic progress toward completion of a course of study means completion of 67 percent (%) of all attempted credits.
If you are transferring to JC midyear and requesting loan funds, an unofficial copy of your previous academic transcript will be required. The academic transcript is required to verify you were making satisfactory academic progress at the previous school before a loan can be processed at JC.
Complete the steps to apply for a Federal Direct Loan
You must complete all three steps to apply for a Federal Direct Loan at JC. Please read the information under all three steps.
Step 1 – Entrance Loan Counseling Session
- Entrance counseling must be completed if this is your first time applying for a loan at JC. You will need your FASFA PIN to complete this step. This step only needs to be completed if you have not received loan funds from JC in the past four (4) years.
Note: You will need to sign into "Manage My Direct Loan."
After you sign in, please make sure you select "Complete Entrance Counseling."
- A MPN is a binding legal document you must complete and sign to receive Federal Direct Loan funds. You will need your FAFSA PIN to complete this step. All students will be required to complete a Direct Loan MPN for JC.
Step 3 – JC Federal Direct Loan Request Form
- The JC Federal Direct Loan Request form must be completed by all students wanting to apply for a Federal Direct Loan. This form is needed in addition to completing the FAFSA.