How to obtain a free Tax Return Transcript from the IRS
If your FAFSA is selected for verification, and you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval option or you changed the IRS data, you will be required to request a tax transcript from the IRS and submit it to the Financial Aid Office. Personal copies of Federal 1040 tax returns can no longer be accepted.
There are two ways to request your Tax Transcript; by phone or online. Please make sure you request a Tax
To order by phone:
- Call the IRS Transcript order line by calling 1.800.908.9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally, this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. (However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.)
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and enter the appropriate year
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- Once you receive the tax transcript, please send the original to the Financial Aid Office. Please keep a copy for your own records.
To order online:
- Go to www.irs.gov then select the following:
- Click on Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript, under the Tools section
- Click Order a Transcript, under Step 3
- Enter your SSN, Date of Birth, Street Address, and Zip Code
- Click Continue
- Select type of transcript Return Transcript and tax year 2013
- You should have the option to either immediately view and print your transcript or receive the transcript by mail.
Before submitting a tax transcript to the Financial Aid Office, please be sure to print the student’s name and JC student ID number on all pages so we can identify the student record to which the transcript belongs.