Jackson Community College Satisfactory Academic Policy
Good Academic Standing
Students must achieve BOTH of the following standards:
- Completion of 67 percent (%) of ALL attempted credit hours.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 on ALL attempted credit hours.
Attempted credit hours include grades of:
P = Pass
W = Withdrawal
F = Fail
I = Incomplete
All other course grades (0.0 - 4.0).
Grades of W, I and F are calculated into your financial aid GPA as a 0.0.
A student enrolls for 15 credit hours, however, withdraws from 9 credits on the last day to withdraw. The student completes 6 credit hours with a 4.0 cumulative grade point average.
|Academic Transcript||Financial Aid Calculation|
|24 honor pts / 6 completed credit hrs = 4.0 GPA||24 honor pts / 15 attempted credit hrs = 1.6 GPA|
The student in this example is placed on academic warning status due to the financial aid calculation of the grade point average less than 2.00 and completing less than 67% of attempted credit hours.
Financial Aid Limits
- Student may receive financial assistance until they have attempted 150% of the credits required for their program of study. The 90 credit hours reflect 150% of the credits required to complete a 60 credit hour associate degree program. Refer to the JCC catalog or consult with an academic advisor for the specific hours required in your associate or certificate program.
Associate in Arts degree requires 60 credit hours. 60 credit hours x 150%= 90 credit hours for financial assistance.
Associate in Applied Science – Nursing degree requires 74 credit hours. 74 credit hours x 150% = 111 credit hours for financial assistance.
- The maximum credit hour limit applies to all attempted credit hours taken at JCC and those transferred from other colleges/universities, even if the student did not receive financial assistance.
- The highest grade will be used in the calculation of the grade point average.
- All repeated courses will be counted against the maximum credit hour limit.
Financial Aid Appeal Process
Students may appeal their financial aid decision. Students must submit the appeal form with supporting documentation. Students must submit their written letter of appeal with supporting documentation (letters from doctors, lawyers, counselors, etc.) to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee.
The appeal will be reviewed by the JCC Financial Aid Appeals Committee and students will be notified of the decision in writing.
Students wanting to appeal a financial aid decision, need to complete the financial aid appeal form.
Making the Grade to Keep Financial Aid
Financial Aid Warning Status
Students not meeting the satisfactory academic progress policy are placed on warning status for one semester. Students must be in good academic standing (SAP) at the time their loan request is reviewed in order to be eligible for the Federal Direct Loan.
To receive financial aid assistance beyond the warning period, the student must have a cumulative 2.00 or better financial aid grade point average and have successfully completed at least 67% of all attempted coursework.
Financial Aid Suspension Status
Students who do not meet the satisfactory academic progress policy after the warning status period are suspended from additional financial assistance. Students are ineligible for any assistance until, at their own expense, they have improved their cumulative grade point average and/or successful completion rate. Except under unusual circumstances, no financial aid is revoked without the student first being placed on warning status.