Central Campus Security Information
JC’s desire is to provide an accessible and safe environment here on campus. The following information is provided for your safety as well as the consideration of others.
In Case of Emergency: CALL (9) 911
Automatic External Defibrillator
We now have life-saving automated external defibrillator (AED) machines installed on the Central Campus at the following locations:
1st Floor – Dove Commons Area
2nd Floor – Stairwell
1st Floor – Vending Machine Area
1st Floor – Weight Room Spot Trainer
1st Floor – Elevator Area
1st Floor – Cyber Cafè Area
2nd Floor – Red Carpet Stairs to 3rd FloorIn case of emergency – OPEN IT!!!
An immediate 911 call is placed when box is open. Read and follow the directions carefully. If there is an additional person with you, they can make a confirmation call to 911. There are several JCC employees here on the Central Campus who are CPR/AED certified. If you are interested in CPR/AED training, call Human Resources at 796-8334.
If you can’t get to an AED box and THERE IS AN EMERGENCY: CALL (9) 9-1-1
Use your discretion. Assess the facts. Keep your head. Think of others. Act calmly and directly.
- Be sure 911 dispatcher knows:
- Jackson Community College
- Location where assistance is needed (building, floor, room, etc.)
- Type of emergency.
- Notify the Facilities Office (ext. 8681) whenever there is an emergency and to obtain assistance for directing emergency personnel traffic, crowd control, evacuation, etc. In the absence of facilities personnel, contact the switchboard (0) who will radio for assistance from:
- Safety and Security Coordinator (#14) 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Security (#39 or 40) 2:45 p.m. – 6:45 a.m.
Responsibility for Service: Under no circumstances will the person telephoning for emergency service be responsible for those charges. The person requiring assistance has first responsibility for the charges. Other arrangements may be made at the discretion of the JC Human Resources Department.
- Be sure 911 dispatcher knows:
Anonymous Tip Line
Jackson College Security now allows the public to share important public safety information anonymously with security staff via an online form, smart phone app or secure text message about crimes or suspicious activity on college property. The system allows a safe and secure way for students, employees, and visitors to share important information with security staff without fear of retribution. This system is 100 percent anonymous, as the technology removes all identifying information before security sees it and there is no way to identify the sender.Submit an anonymous tip
Over 1,700 parking spaces are available on the Central Campus. Parking is allowed in designated areas only, and is strictly prohibited in fire/safety vehicle access lanes, city/county bus access lanes, handicap spaces, all campus drives and roadways.
Campus security personnel have been sworn to enforce Summit Township and state parking ordinances on campus. Safety warnings and parking violation citations will be issued when necessary to control parking and to provide a safe means of entry and exit from campus lots.
Escort services are available upon request from JC security. Call 517.796.820 to make arrangements.
Faculty reserved parking shall be furnished at no cost to faculty in posted lots. Human Resources (ext. 8460) issues your Faculty Parking Access Card.
Vehicle assistance is a courtesy provided by the facilities team (ext. 8681), as they are available, and is limited to jump starting of car batteries. Facilities will no longer provide unlock services. In the absence of facilities personnel, call the main switchboard at 787.0800 to obtain vehicle assistance.
The following situations should ALWAYS be considered life-threatening emergencies.
- Chest pain or pain radiating from the chest to the jaw, shoulder or arm (possible heart attack)
- Lack of breathing, difficulty breathing, or shortness of breath (possible airway obstruction, heart attack or other life-threatening condition)
- Unconsciousness (many possible life-threatening conditions such as stroke, poisoning or heart attack)
- Choking and coughing (foreign body in throat)
- Weakness in face or on one side of body, or inability to speak (possible stroke)
- Pale, blue or gray face, sweating and rapid breathing (possible stroke)
- Bleeding that does not stop easily when pressure is applied (cut or laceration requiring medical care)
- Protruding bones or severe pain, deformity and loss of motion at or near a bone (possible fracture)
- Burns, unless very minor
- Coughing or vomiting blood (possible internal hemorrhage), foreign body in eye
Outside Campus Grounds Use
Use of campus grounds (sports fields, etc.) is restricted. For information and scheduling, please call 517.796.8473.
For all events, vehicles (except snow removal equipment) are prohibited from driving on walkways or grounds areas. All vehicles shall be restricted to roadways and service ramps only.
Parking on grassy areas is strictly prohibited. Parking areas are provided on Central Campus. If you choose to park along the county roadway, keep vehicles off those grassy areas that are maintained by College personnel.
Employee Building Access
Building access procedures are designed to protect you and your colleagues during nonscheduled business hours. Nonscheduled business hours are those times when campus is typically closed including weekends, holidays and weekdays before 7 a.m. or after 10 p.m.
Please schedule your building access requests ahead of time (at least 24 hours) by posting a request under JC Services/Facilities Services/Building Access folder with the following information:
- Date Needed
- Entry/Exit Time
This will allow the guard at the Campus Services building to schedule your safe and timely access. You will be required to fill out a building entry card that will be supplied by the guard when entering and leaving. When you are ready to leave, please contact the guard at ext. 8620. If you get voice mail, please leave a complete message, as this will signal the guard’s pager to check voice mail.
Public transportation is available for students attending Central Campus and W.J. Maher Campus. Students can take advantage of reduced bus fares offered through Jackson Transportation Authority (JTA). JTA operates a special schedule of services to Jackson College’s Central and North Campus when classes are in session.
Unscheduled Building Access
If you need building access that was not scheduled, please call the guard at least one hour before your arrival 517.796.8620. When you arrive at campus, go straight to the Campus Services building guard station. The guard will have you fill out a building entry card and escort you to requested building.