Boost your job search skills with help of JCC’s new career coach
To help better meet the needs of JCC students, alum and the community, Jackson Community College has launched a new Career Coach office.
Located in Justin Whiting Hall near the Corporate and Continuing Education office, Certified Career Coach and Employer Liaison, Dr. Michelle Shields will help students with work based learning opportunities, job search strategies, and the application process. Additionally, she will connect with employers in the community regarding personnel and hiring needs. She will offer workshops and individual guidance on a variety of career preparation areas:
- Resumé Critique: This workshop focuses on providing basic information needed to build a resumé that will highlight your professional skills, abilities and experience to give you the competitive edge.
- Interviewing Techniques: This workshop focuses on preparing you to enter the interview process with confidence. Learn about key questions that may be asked, how to answer interview questions successfully, proper etiquette and body language, and appropriate clothing for an interview.
- Preparing for Success: This workshop will educate you on search and secure strategies, research tips, what you should do to be prepared for an interview, how to represent yourself professionally during the interview, image and presence awareness, and how to follow up after an interview.
- Social Media Presence: This workshop will show you the difference between spring breaker and serious job seeker. Demonstrating the importance of a positive digital image and how employers are utilizing the Internet to research candidates.
- Networking Skills: This workshop will provide you with information on how to network and make the most out of your personal connections and new connections. In today’s workforce, a high number of all jobs are never advertised and get filled though personal connections and networking relationships.
Students may attend workshops or meet for a one-on-one consultation with Shields. The Career Coach office is located in Justin Whiting Hall near the Corporate and Continuing Education office. Appointments and block scheduling available at all JCC center locations.
To learn more, e-mail Michelle M. Shields at ShieldsMichellM@jccmi.edu, or phone at 517.990.1381
Read more Highlights