Interlibrary Loan Information (ILL)
What do I need to use ILL services?
You need an active borrower’s card from JC Atkinson Library or any of the Jackson District Library branches.
What can I order?
- Materials that the Library does not own
- Materials owned by the Library that are not available (i.e.- lost, in mending, etc.)
How fast and easy is ILL?
- The speed at which ILL request can be filled depends on the type of item requested:
- Books usually take 4-10 days
- Articles can take from 1-5 days, depending on the method of delivery (email and fax are fastest)
- Closer lending libraries usually fill requests faster than those at greater distances from JCC
- Some items are harder to borrow than others, due to some lending libraries’ policies:
- Videos, audio tapes and references books, are often not loaned
- Whole magazines, and popular items, such as best-sellers, are usually not loaned
How do I order ILL books, articles or other items?
- Use the links provided in databases. These are labeled See more details for locating this item or Borrow this item from another library. An online order form will display for you to fill in.
- Drop off request to the Library Reference Desk.
- Print out off source citation from database.
- Print out from Amazon or other online book seller.
Does it cost anything to use ILL?
- There is no cost to you to use ILL, except for overdue materials. These are charged at the normal rate for overdues, and may be subject to additional fines imposed by the lending library
- The ILL Department will never order anything from libraries that charge fees, without your permission.
How can I speed up the process?
- All requests are processed in the order received.
- Fill in any forms as completely as possible.
- When providing print outs, make sure they include as much information as is available on the resource.
- Do not guess at abbreviated magazine titles; if your source does not include the spelled-out title, include only what is shown.
- Include the source of your citation with your request; this will be helpful if we need to do further checking.
- Arrange to pick up articles at the Library instead of having us mail them; we will call you when they arrive if you request this.
- Include your email address, if you have one. Most articles are now provided via email.
- Be sure that the item you need is not already available in the Library.
How will I be notified when my order comes in?
- For books, videos, audiotapes- we will call or email you to pick up your order.
- For magazine articles-articles will be either emailed or sent via regular mail. Articles are yours to keep. They do not need to be returned.
Where do I get my ordered items?
All items to be picked up will be held at the Circulation Desk.
How long may I keep ILL items?
- The length of time an item may be kept checked out is determined by the lending library, not by JC Library. Please honor the date specified in your item. Request needed items as far in advance as you can.
- If you need to renew an item, please request this before the due date. You will be notified if the lending library has refused renewal, so that the item may be returned ASAP to them.
- Most articles do not need to be returned; copies are yours to keep.
Are fines charged on overdue ILL items?
- Late return of ILL items jeopardizes our ability to borrow for you in the future.
- Fines are charged at the regular JC Library rates for any overdue ILL items.
- If ILL items are lost, you will be liable for the lending library’s charge. This may be greater than the charge for lost JC Library items.
Are there any restrictions or limitations?
Lending libraries determine the conditions regarding the use of their material. Limitations such as “For use in Library only” or “Copying not Permitted” must be honored.