- Grew up in Jackson, Mich. and graduated from Jackson High School.
- He went on to attend and graduate from Jackson Junior College in 1954, where he ran track and enjoyed playing ping-pong at the John George Hall.
- He continued his educational journey at the University of Colorado (Boulder) where he earned a baccalaureate degree.
- Charles served in the Army, where he had the opportunity to attend a very intense military school and study state-of-the-art radar technology.
- Following his graduation from the University of Colorado, Charles returned to Jackson where he worked for the Republican Party until accepting a position with the City of Flint. Charles met his late wife, Helen Francis Murphy, during his career with the City of Flint and they were happily married until she passed away in 1995. Charles eventually retired from the City of Flint where he enjoyed a successful career as the Information Technology department leader.
- Charles has a deep appreciation for the arts, especially opera.
- He is also an avid golfer, and spent many years traveling with his late wife to various courses across the United States and continues to enjoy the game today.
- Charles has a deep affection for Jackson College and credits his start at Jackson Junior College for his lifetime achievements.
It isn’t a man’s father, mother or spouse,
Whose judgment upon him must pass,
The fellow whose verdict counts most in life,
Is the man staring back from the glass.