Dr. Fred Slete
Class of 1978
- Born in Indianapolis, Ind., he moved with his family to Jackson when he was 12 years old. He attended Western Schools, where he met his future wife in the seventh grade. They began dating at age 16, and have now been married 39 years.
- Attended Jackson Community College from 1976-78, graduating with honors with an Associate in Arts, majors in chemistry and biology. After deciding at a young age that he wanted to be a dentist, he structured his educational choices around that goal. While at JCC, he was president of the Chemistry Club and was “Chemistry Student of the Year” in 1978.
- After continuing his studies at Albion College for one year, he was admitted to the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. He completed his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree in 1983.
- Slete began his private practice in family, restorative and esthetic dentistry in 1983. He has been practicing dentistry in downtown Jackson for more than 30 years.
- In 1994, he received both the Michigan Dental Association Young Dentist Leadership Award and the American Dental Association National Golden Apple Award for the Young Dentist.
- As a believer that a community’s professionals should be part of the overall success, vitality and growth of the community in which they work, he’s been active in many civic groups. He was a member of the Jackson Host Lions Club for more than 20 years and a founding member of the Jackson Citizens for Economic Growth. He also served on the Blackman Township LDFA Board for eight years.
- In 2002, he received the Distinguished Service Award from Jackson Community College.
- Slete is a past president of the Jackson College Foundation, with eight years as a foundation board member. He was also president of the former Jackson Community College Alumni Association.
- In 2010, he was named an Outstanding Past Graduate of the Jackson Leadership Academy.
- He is a Fellow of the International College of Dentists and the International Congress of Oral Implantology, and has received Mastership with the Academy of General Dentistry. A noted speaker, presenter, and author in his field, he has taught and lectured at The University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and Augusta University Dental College of Georgia. He has also published scientific research in a peer-reviewed international publication.
- Slete and his wife, Susan, have two adult daughters, a son-in-law, and are proud grandparents.
My “mantra” for life is from one of my dental mentors, Dr. Omer Reed;
He said to me: “Along with the people you meet, and the books that you read….Who you are, is where you were when!”
That is to say, your friends, family, and environment shape your mind, your personal drive, and values… and profoundly influence your likelihood to thrive or flounder. Don’t hang out with ducks if you want to soar like an eagle.