- Graduated from Jackson High School in 1987.
- Attended Jackson Community College from 1987-’90. It was close to home and she valued the support of her family nearby.
- Transferred to what was Spring Arbor College to complete her bachelor’s degree in sociology because she loved working with people.
- Kelly’s first job was working with youth at Starr Commonwealth School in Albion, and found a passion for working with youth.
- After Starr, she provided trainings to school staff and others on substance abuse through a four-county Substance Abuse Prevention Agency, and later went to work as a health educator through a grant-funded program to deter teen pregnancy rates.
- Served as coach and advisor for cheerleading at Jackson High.
- Worked as a school-based health educator at Jackson’s Northeast Elementary prior to coming to work for Jackson College in 2013.
- Joined Jackson College as the assistant director of multicultural affairs. She helps to oversee students groups the Men of Merit and Sisters of Strength, helps coordinate the Student Multicultural Center in Bert Walker Hall, and assists in administering programs for the College’s diverse student population and overall student success efforts.
- In addition to her work, she serves as secretary of the John George Home Board of Directors and serves on the Jackson Parks and Recreation Board of Directors. In the past, she has served on the Jackson YMCA board and the Jackson Asthma Coalition Board.
- In 2014 she was recognized by the Jackson Club of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc., with Special Recognition of the Year honors.
- In 2015 she received the Sisters in Ministry Mrs. Elnora V. Moorman Dignity and Determination Award.
- She serves on the Jackson College Alumni Advisory Council.
- She credits helpful, caring mentors throughout her life with helping her achieve success, starting with her parents, and her late teacher, Patricia Anderson, and husband, Charles Anderson.
- Kelly is married to husband, Derrick. She has two adult sons and five grandchildren.
- Established the Derrick and Kelly Crum Scholarship Fund with the Jackson College Foundation.
Surround yourself with people who will inspire, motivate and lift you up.