Complete in as little as 12 months!
Start your training in corrections through Jackson College’s certificate program. Participants will explore corrections institutions, private security, and the general safe keeping of all individuals detained.
Employment includes correction officers, jail correction officers, juvenile facility youth specialist (both public and private) and private security. Complete the certificate to qualify for employment in many sectors or to continue with an associate degree.
This program is recommended for prospective State of Michigan corrections officers.
• Minimum grade of 2.0 required for each course
• Training must be completed within 18 months of hire
Corrections Program Highlights
- Salaries start about $36,700 annually in Michigan, with regular increases for years of service.
- Careers in corrections are expected to grow 5 percent in coming years. Because the Michigan Department of Corrections is so large, it is always hiring due to turnover.
- Prepare for further study toward an associate degree
Sample Key Topics Include
- Community Corrections
- Criminal Justice Systems
- Human Development
- Normal Versus Criminal Behavior
- Prison System Dynamics
- Prisoners’ Rights
- Restoration of Rights