Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The best way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is part of FAFSA on the Web. If you, and/or your parent(s) have not already used the Data Retrieval Tool, please follow the steps below:
- Go to www.fafsa.gov and log into the your FAFSA record
- Select Make FAFSA Corrections, and navigate to the Financial Information section of the form.
- Follow the on screen instructions to determine if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer IRS income tax information onto your FAFSA.
- Once you are connected to the IRS website, you will want to review your tax information for accuracy. Check the box to Transfer Tax information into the FAFSA and select Transfer Now. You will then be returned to the FAFSA web site, and the data transfer has been completed!
- After successfully Transferring your IRS Data to your FAFSA make sure you sign your FAFSA with your FSA ID and submit your updated/corrected FAFSA for processing.