Help paying for college is available – file for financial aid now

November 24, 2020

Wondering how to pay for college? Don’t worry — financial aid is available for those who qualify!

What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money to help with college expenses. It can come from the U.S. Department of Education, the state, or scholarships from civic groups and clubs, businesses, schools, non-profit organizations, individuals and more.

What kind of aid is there?

  • Grants – monies that don’t need to pay back
  • Scholarships – monies that don’t need to be paid back
  • Work-Study – money earned for part-time work
  • Loans – monies that need to be paid back, with interest

What can I use aid for?

School expenses like tuition and fees, books and supplies.

How is aid figured?

Amounts are based on a person’s need, determined by federal guidelines.

How do I apply?

Your first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

You will need your Social Security Number, your driver’s license (if any), W-2 forms from two year prior, you and/or your parents’ federal income tax return from two years prior, current bank statements and any investment information. Be sure to list Jackson College on your application.

Are there other places?

Yes, explore scholarships available from the Jackson College Foundation, community foundations, clubs and organizations, employers and more.

Jackson College has more information on scholarships at


Completing the FAFSA is FREE. Free help is available online through the website, or from the College. Beware of any site that asks you to pay to file or for information.

Finally, do apply! You never know what you qualify for unless you apply. Many scholarships use FAFSA information as a first step.