F-1 Rights and Responsibilities
Full Course of Study
International students must be registered for a full course of study during fall and winter semesters. Full course load is 12 credits.
It is essential to maintain current, accurate immigration documents. Please consult with the International Student Institute if you:
- Change your address
- Change your program of study
- Experience a change in your financial situation
- Are going to travel outside the U.S.
- Will need more time to finish your degree.
F-1 visa holders are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week on campus. F-1 visa holders must obtain work authorization through the International Student Institute (ISI) and/or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Off-campus work authorization options are:
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Off-campus employment based on Severe Economic Hardship
To learn more about any of these employment options, please consult with the International Student Institute.
- 60 days: F-1 students who complete an academic program or OPT have a 60-day grace period.
- 15 days: F-1 students who have received prior authorization to withdraw from classes have 15 days to depart the U.S. after the withdrawal date.
- 0 days: Students who withdraw from classes without prior authorization do not have a grace period, and must leave the U.S. immediately.