Ready Set Jet Summer Bridge Program
Jackson College’s Ready, Set, Jet Summer Bridge Program is an academic mentoring program for newly enrolling Jackson College students. This program has been established to offer greater support as students are transitioning from high school to college. The goal of Ready, Set, Jet is to increase the academic performance, retention, and graduation rates of students enrolling in Jackson College who could benefit from additional support. If you are interested in signing up for the Summer Bridge Program, please read the responsibilities and sign and submit the contract below as soon as possible. The program has limited space available.
- Live in Jackson College on-campus student housing
- Earn 12 college credits
- Peer to peer mentoring
- Tutors provided
- Off-campus field trips
- Fun, co-curricular activities
- Cultural enrichment programs
How to Apply
Step 1. Apply to Jackson College and Ready Set Jet by June 1, 2021
To apply for Ready Set Jet, you must complete an online application to Jackson College.
- Within the online application, Select yes to the question Are you applying to the Ready Set Jet Program? (see image below)
- Read the Ready Set Jet Contract
- Select Yes to agree to the terms of the contract
Step 2. Apply for the 2020 FAFSA by June 1, 2021
- Complete a U.S. Department of Education FSA ID Registration if you do not have an FSA ID to use for your electronic signature.
- Complete annually a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. JC’s Federal ID Code is 002274.
- Respond promptly to any requests from the Financial Aid Office for additional information such as copies of federal tax returns, verification of untaxed income or benefits, etc.
7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA
- Step 3. Apply for Student Housing and Background Check by June 1, 2021
Complete 12 college credit hours in a short time
Course # Course Name Credits Prerequisites Notes COM 231 Communication Fundamentals 3 ENG 085, ENG 091
Students will learn the basic principles of speech communication including speech development and delivery, interpersonal message, non-verbal messages, and small group dynamics. The course is designed to prepare students to be effective communicators in a diverse global society. Student speeches will be evaluated for effectiveness.
ENG 086 Active Reading 3
Using a wide range of reading materials, students will employ metacognitive processes to enhance understanding and will find connections between a text and their own lives, the world, and other texts. They will also learn and practice strategies for expanding vocabulary. Student writing is a significant component of the course.
ENG 091 Introduction to College Writing 3 ENG 080 Corequisite: ENG 131A
(Fulfills same requirements as ENG 090) This is an intensive course to give students a strong foundation for the work of English 131. Students explore genres in order to meet the expectations of audiences for a variety of purposes. A personal approach helps students enhance their writing abilities, resolve writing problems, and explore writing strategies. An end-of-the-semester portfolio is required.
ENG 131 Writing Experience I 3 ENG 085 and ENG 091
This is an intensive writing course. Narrative and descriptive modes are stressed. Basic research strategies are introduced. An end-of-the-semester portfolio is required.
Item Cost Tuition & Fees (COM 231, ENG 086, ENG 091, ENG 131) $1,961.52 Books $300 Housing $600 Meal Plan $500 Background Check $45 Total Cost $3,958.52
- Students that HAVE FULL PELL AND TIP will receive a refund of $1,426
- Students that ONLY HAVE FULL PELL will have an out of pocket expense of $785.52
- Students that ONLY HAVE TIP will have an out of pocket expense of $1,747
For More Information
For more information about the Ready Set Jet Program at Jackson College, please contact the Multicultural Affairs Office at 517.796.8480.
This is an amazing program. It taught me so much just being here on campus. The intensity of the program helped me with my time management, asking for help with I need it and understanding the importance of getting stuff done. It was a real eye-opener to see how things operate.
It was a wonderful experience. I want to give a shout-out to the organizers and mentors who did a wonderful job of orchestrating the program. The mentors did a wonderful job making sure we were on top of our academics. We were able to grow and bond together. It gives you an experience and feel for college; it’s a jump start to help prepare you for this experience.