Nominations sought for King Medal of Service Awards
October 29, 2019
Jackson College is now accepting nominations for the 2020 Martin Luther King Jr. Medal of Service Award. This award recognizes individuals or groups of individuals in Jackson County for their commitment to King’s ideals and community service. Medals will be awarded during the Jackson College King Celebration on Jan. 18, 2020.
Applications are currently available online at www.jccmi.edu/multicultural-affairs/ or at the Office of Multicultural Affairs, Potter Center 213B. The deadline to return the application is Monday, Nov. 18, 2019. The award criteria include those who are committed to carrying out the dream and vision of Dr. King in several areas:
- Belief in the basic tenets of cultural and ethnic diversity;
- Giving back to the community through volunteerism and service;
- Support and promotion of educational opportunities for underrepresented populations in Jackson County;
- Promoting financial opportunities for poorer citizens of Jackson County;
- Guiding youth and offering opportunities for social and moral development, giving them tools to interact socially with the broader culture; and,
- Working toward a safe community and reduction of crime in Jackson County.
Recent winners of the award include Harold White Jr. (2019), Alan Wade (2018), Robert L. Burton (2017), Bobby Thompkins (2016), and Farris Coppage (2015).
Nomination forms detail the required criteria by which nominees will be evaluated. For more information, contact Lee Hampton at 517.796.8470, or Kelly Crum, 517.990.1318.