Nominations sought for King Medal of Service Awards
October 25, 2021
Jackson College is now accepting nominations for the 2022 Martin Luther King Jr. Medal of Service Award. This award recognizes individuals or groups of individuals in Jackson County for their commitment to King’s ideals and community service. Medals will be awarded during the Jackson College King Celebration.
Applications are currently available online at https://forms.office.com/r/zV5cL9cK94 . The deadline to submit the application is Monday, Nov. 5, 2021. The award criteria recognize those who are committed to carrying out the dream and vision of Dr. King in several areas:
- Belief in the basic tenets of cultural and ethnic diversity;
- Giving back to the community through volunteerism and service;
- Support and promotion of educational opportunities for underrepresented populations in Jackson County;
- Promoting financial opportunities for poorer citizens of Jackson County;
- Guiding youth and offering opportunities for social and moral development, giving them tools to interact socially with the broader culture; and,
- Working toward a safe community and reduction of crime in Jackson County.
Recent winners of the award include Benny Poole (2021), Arlene Robinson (2020), Harold White Jr. (2019), Alan Wade (2018), Robert L. Burton (2017), and Bobby Thompkins (2016).
Nomination forms detail the required criteria by which nominees will be judged. For more information, contact Department Coordinator Mykayla Giles (517.796.8480).