Honors program offers opportunity to reach higher
Students may take their college experience to the next level with the new Jackson College Honors program! Jackson College launches its own honors program this year, offering talented and motivated students the opportunity to dig deeper and reach further in their college experience. Previously the College worked in partnership with the American Honors Program, which has now changed its focus primarily on international students.
Honors @ Jackson College will provide students enhanced educational opportunities in honors classes designed to challenge and enrich student learning. Students will immerse themselves in their learning with fellow honors students in classes that go beyond the basic curriculum to add depth, enhance critical thinking, and encourage collaboration, leadership and service.
“Honors students will enter into a community of students, faculty and administrators committed to the shared ideals of academic excellence, leadership, intellectual curiosity and mutual respect,” said Professor Emeritus Martha Petry, Honors @ Jackson College and Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society advisor.
Benefits of Honors @ Jackson College include:
- Smaller classes sizes that enable more direct contact and mentoring from honors faculty.
- Collaborative learning and leadership experiences that connect multiple disciplines, offering a “holistic” learning experience.
- Service learning opportunities that encourage students to study needs in their community.
- Graduate with honors recognition on academic transcript and opportunity to receive honors degree or certificate, depending on the number of honors courses completed.
- Assistance with scholarships and transfer to four-year universities.
- Opportunity for membership in Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. PTK is the international honor society of two-year colleges that offers its own leadership opportunities and scholarship assistance.
The new honors program is open to all prospective students who meet minimum requirements. Enrollment is now underway. In addition to tuition, costs will be $250 per semester or $500 per year.
Visit www.jccmi.edu/honors for full eligibility requirements and application.