Ready Set Jet Summer Bridge Program 2020
June 9, 2020
Get a head start on college with Ready Set Jet Summer Bridge Program 2020
Jackson College’s Ready, Set, Jet Summer Bridge Program is an academic mentoring program for newly enrolling Jackson College students that will take place during the summer of 2020. This program has been established to offer greater support as students are transitioning from high school to college. The goal of Ready, Set, Jet is to increase the academic performance, retention, and graduation rates of students enrolling in Jackson College who could benefit from additional support in the summer of 2020. If you are interested in signing up for the Summer Bridge Program, please read the responsibilities and sign and submit the contract below as soon as possible. The program has limited space available.
July 14 – Aug. 21, 2020
- Live in Jackson College on-campus student housing
- Earn 12 college credits
- Peer to peer mentoring
- Tutors provided
- Off-campus field trips
- Fun, co-curricular activities
- Cultural enrichment programs
Deadline to complete all steps: June 19, 2020
How to Apply
- Step 1. Apply to Jackson College and Ready Set Jet by June 1, 2020
To apply for Ready Set Jet, you must complete an online application to Jackson College.
- Within the online application, Select yes to the question Are you applying to the Ready Set Jet Program? (see image below)
- Read the Ready Set Jet Contract
- Select Yes to agree to the terms of the contract
- Step 2. Apply for the 2019-2020 FAFSA by June 1, 2020
- Complete a U.S. Department of Education FSA ID Registration if you do not have an FSA ID to use for your electronic signature.
- Complete annually a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. JC’s Federal ID Code is 002274.
- Respond promptly to any requests from the Financial Aid Office for additional information such as copies of federal tax returns, verification of untaxed income or benefits, etc.
7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA
- Step 3. Apply for Student Housing and Background Check by June 1, 2020
Complete 12 college credit hours in a short time
Course # Course Name Credits Prerequisites Notes COM 231 Communication Fundamentals 3 ENG 085, ENG 091
Students will learn the basic principles of speech communication including speech development and delivery, interpersonal message, non-verbal messages, and small group dynamics. The course is designed to prepare students to be effective communicators in a diverse global society. Student speeches will be evaluated for effectiveness.
ENG 085 College Reading 4 ENG 080*
This course is intended for students who have developed their reading skills nearly to the college level but need further development of comprehension and vocabulary skills. Using a wide range of reading materials, students will employ metacognitive processes to enhance understanding and will find connections between a text and 1) their own lives, 2) the world and 3) other texts. They will also learn and practice strategies for expanding vocabulary. Student writing is a significant component of the course.
ENG 090 Introduction to Writing 4 ENG 080*
This is an intensive course in composition for students who need supplementary help in writing. A personal approach helps students enhance their writing abilities, resolve writing problems and explore writing strategies. An end-of-semester portfolio is required.
SEM 140 Seminar in Life Pathways 3
Seminar in Life Pathways is a gateway course to Jackson College. This course is designed to help all students develop the skills, inner qualities and external behaviors needed to take charge of their academic and career success. Students will be guided through an extensive process in making career choices and selecting an academic program of study at Jackson College and beyond. With the exception of second-admit programs, SEM 140 is required of all students.
Item Cost Tuition & Fees (COM 231, ENG 085, ENG 090, SEM 140) $2,475 Books $227 Housing $600 Meal Plan $500 Background Check $45 Total Cost $3,847
- Students that have full Pell and TIP will receive a refund of $1,424
- Students that only have full Pell will have an out of pocket expense of $749
- Students that only have TIP will have an out of pocket expense of $1,674
- More Information
For More Information
For more information about the Ready Set Jet Program at Jackson College, please contact the Multicultural Affairs Office at 517.796.8480.
This is an amazing program. It taught me so much just being here on campus. The intensity of the program helped me with my time management, asking for help with I need it and understanding the importance of getting stuff done. It was a real eye-opener to see how things operate.
It was a wonderful experience. I want to give a shout-out to the organizers and mentors who did a wonderful job of orchestrating the program. The mentors did a wonderful job making sure we were on top of our academics. We were able to grow and bond together. It gives you an experience and feel for college; it’s a jump start to help prepare you for this experience.