Get a head start on college with Jackson College’s Ready Set Jet Program.
July 15 – August 23, 2019
Jackson College’s Ready, Set, Jet is a summer bridge program for newly enrolling Jackson College students. This program has been established to offer greater support as students are transitioning from high school to college. The goal of Ready, Set, Jet is to increase the academic performance, retention, and graduation rates of students enrolling in Jackson College who could benefit from additional support. Students who successfully complete the program are admitted to Jackson College housing for the fall semester. Special Ready, Set, Jet scholarships are available to students in need. If you are interested in signing up for the program, please read the responsibilities and sign and submit the contract below as soon as possible. The program is limited to the first 50 students.
- Six week program
- Live in on-campus college housing
- Earn 12 college credits
- Peer to peer mentoring
- Tutors provided
- Off-campus field trips
- Fun, co-curricular activities
- Scholarships available
How to Apply
Step 1. Submit Ready Set Jet Contract
Ready Set Jet Contract
- I am committed to being a fully engaged participant in the Ready, Set, Jet program
- I am committed to attending all classes
- I am committed to being mentored and meeting with my mentor as requested
- I am committed to maintaining satisfactory academic progress
- I am committed to attending the Ready, Set, Jet tutoring sessions
- I am committed to completing the Ready, Set, Jet summer program
- I am committed to meeting with my Navigator (academic advisor) as requested
- I am committed to living in Campus View Student Housing
- I am committed to following all the Jackson College housing rules, regulations, and responsibilities
Step 2. Apply to Jackson College
Complete an online application to Jackson College.
Step 3. Apply for the 2018 FAFSA
- Complete a U.S. Department of Education FSA ID Registration if you do not have an FSA ID to use for your electronic signature.
- Complete annually a Free Application for Federal Student Aid form as soon after October 1 as possible. JC’s Federal ID Code is 002274.
- Respond promptly to any requests from the Financial Aid Office for additional information such as copies of federal tax returns, verification of untaxed income or benefits, etc.
7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA
Complete 12 college credit hours in a short time
Course # Course Name Credits Prerequisites Notes COM 231 Communication Fundamentals 3 ENG 085, ENG 091
Students will learn the basic principles of speech communication including speech development and delivery, interpersonal message, non-verbal messages, and small group dynamics. The course is designed to prepare students to be effective communicators in a diverse global society. Student speeches will be evaluated for effectiveness.
ENG 086 Active Reading 3
Using a wide range of reading materials, students will employ metacognitive processes to enhance understanding and will find connections between a text and their own lives, the world, and other texts. They will also learn and practice strategies for expanding vocabulary. Student writing is a significant component of the course.
ENG 091 Introduction to College Writing 3 ENG 080 Corequisite: ENG 131A
(Fulfills same requirements as ENG 090) This is an intensive course to give students a strong foundation for the work of English 131. Students explore genres in order to meet the expectations of audiences for a variety of purposes. A personal approach helps students enhance their writing abilities, resolve writing problems, and explore writing strategies. An end-of-the-semester portfolio is required.
ENG 131 Writing Experience I 3 ENG 085 and ENG 091
This is an intensive writing course. Narrative and descriptive modes are stressed. Basic research strategies are introduced. An end-of-the-semester portfolio is required.
Item Cost Tuition $2,361.60 Housing and Meals (all lunches and dinners provided; breakfast on your own) $1,600 Housing Fees $345 Academic Fees $164 Books $386 Total Cost $4,856.60
All costs will be covered by Pell and TIP (for those eligible) or scholarship assistance.
For More Information
For more information about the Ready Set Jet Program at Jackson College, please contact the Multicultural Affairs Office at 517.796.8480.