Become a Resident Mentor
Residence Life is looking for students who desire to invest in the lives of other students within our community, create supportive environments, look to gain leadership skills, and are able to share the benefits of living in the halls. Being a resident mentor is an amazing opportunity to learn about yourself and others.
Residence Life will be searching for Resident Mentors on an on-going basis. When we have vacancies available, we send an e-mail to your Jackson College e-mail address. If you have any questions, please reach out to Sharniece Jelks , Assistant Director of Residence Life, regarding any questions about our application process.
Resident Mentor Application
We are excited to have you explore the possibility of serving the Jackson College community as one of our Resident Mentors! Please fill out and submit the form below and check your Jackson College e-mail regularly for updates.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 is required at the time of application submission and must be maintained throughout employment as a Resident Assistant.
- Resident Mentor must be full-time students registered for at least 12 credits.
- The Resident Mentor position is expected to be the top priority outside of the classroom. Participation in other activities is encouraged, but students may not work on campus while
being employed with Residence Life.
- Resident Mentor candidates may not be involved with the disciplinary process at the time of application or during employment. An expectation by the College for higher standards of
behavior commences at the time a Resident Mentor position is offered and accepted.
- Resident Mentor must be willing to work where assigned. Assignments are based on need and presumed fit within the community based on the RMs respective skill sets. Assignments are not
negotiable; however, accommodations for staff members with needs will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Provide a positive living and learning environment while creating a safe, secure, and inclusive home away from home for the residents.
- Resident Mentors (RMs) must reside in the residence halls.
- RMs are responsible for fulfilling the expectations given to them through their supervisor, job description, and the Residence Life Manual.
- RMs are supervised by Residence Life Coordinators and Residence Life Leadership but are expected to cooperate with college officials on an as-needed basis.
- RMs must cooperate with the other RMs and be available for back-up support in emergency situations.
- RMs may be assigned other tasks, projects, or responsibilities at various times during the year by their immediate supervisor or other professional Residence Life staff members.
- RMs will participate in the on-duty schedule for the duration of their contract.
- Weekly staff meeting 1-2 hours per week
- Individual meeting with direct supervisor 1 hour per week
- Meeting with assigned residents 11-12 hours per week
- Planning and implementation of events 4-6 hours per month
- On-duty responsibilities. Varies by hall
*These hours will vary week to week; this is an approximation.