Health Professions Advising Information
Jackson College offers wonderful opportunities for becoming a health care professional. Even though we don’t offer degrees for every health care profession, that doesn’t mean JC can’t help you get the degree you want. Whether your chosen profession requires a bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree, JC offers many of the required undergraduate courses required for those degrees.
While there are dozens (if not hundreds) of professions available for people interested in a career in health care, this site will focus on those that are most popular with our students. Deciding to become a health care professional is simple, but doing it successfully requires some careful course selection and planning.
Most degrees require students to complete a very specific set of courses prior to being admitted for study. For some professions, almost every school that offers a degree in it has the same set of requirements. For other professions, each school has their own unique set of requirements. Knowing the general requirements and finding specific requirements for various schools can make the difference between being a successful applicant to professional school or an unsuccessful applicant.
Unfortunately, many students think that completing the prerequisite courses is the only thing they need to do to be accepted to the health professions school of their choice. The true story is that the schools look at a wide range of things, coursework being just one part of the picture. Focusing on just one part and ignoring any of the others can set back your dream of becoming a health care professional.
For more detailed information, or to discuss any questions you have about becoming a health care professional, contact Dr. Patricia Visser (ext. 8533).
Michigan Health Professions Schools
- Central Michigan Univ. – Human Medicine
- Michigan State Univ.-CHM (East Lansing and Grand Rapids campuses)
- Michigan State Univ.-COM
- Oakland University
- University of Michigan – Human Medicine
- Wayne State Univ. – Human Medicine
- Western Michigan Univ. – Human Medicine
- No Michigan Colleges – Click Association of Chiropractic Colleges for school info
- No Michigan Colleges – Click Amer. Assn. of Colleges of Pod. Med. for school info
- Andrews University
- Central Michigan Univ. – Physical Therapy
- Grand Valley State Univ. – Physical Therapy
- Univ. of Michigan – Flint
- Wayne State University – Physical Therapy
- Central Michigan Univ. – Physician Assistant
- University of Detroit Mercy – Physician Assistant
- Wayne State Univ. – Physician Assistant
- Western Michigan Univ. – Physician Assistant
- Grand Valley State Univ. – Occupational Theraphy
- Saginaw Valley State Univ.
- Wayne State Univ. – Occupational Therapy
- Western Michigan Univ. – Occupational Therapy
- Central Michigan UniversitySpeech-Language Pathology Audiology
- Eastern Michigan Univ.
- Wayne State Univ. – Speech Language
OTHER HEALTH SCIENCE CAREER PROGRAMS (HEALTH ADMINISTRATION, PATHOLOGISTS’ ASSISTANT, CLINICAL LAB SCIENCE, ETC.)
- Central Michigan University – Other Health careers
- Eastern Michigan University – Other Health careers
- University of Detroit Mercy – Other Health Careers (Health Admin.)
- Wayne State University – Other Health Careers
- Dental Schools (AADSAS)
- Medical Schools – Osteopathic (ACOMAS)
- Pharmacy Schools (PharmCAS)
- Physician Assistant Schools (CASPA)
- Podiatry Schools (AACPMAS)
- Veterinary Schools (VMCAS)