Securing a Clinical Site

If a student is unable to accept a local clinical placement in Michigan or Indiana and would like to try to secure a clinical site in their geographical location, the student will need to find a hospital or ultrasound lab who is interested in hosting them as a student. We recommend that if you live within a 2 hour driving radius of another CAAHEP accredited program, you should apply to that program. Obtaining a clinical site for you to perform your clinical may be challenging, if not impossible, if you live close to another sonography school. To get a better idea of the likelihood of us getting a hospital in your area, please find accredited programs near you at

VascularSonographyIf you have a hospital or ultrasound lab who is interested in hosting you as a student for one of Jackson College’s Sonography Programs you will need to:

  1. Ask the Supervisor or Manager of the ultrasound lab to complete these two forms and submit them back to the Allied Health Office:

    The deadline for submission of these documents to the Allied Health Office:

      • Vascular Sonography – January 31
  2. Once the Characteristics of Clinical Education Center and the Summary Curriculum Vitae Form are filled out and received by the Allied Health Office, they will be reviewed to determine if this facility meets the standards for the Jackson College’s accredited sonography program. If the standards are met then:
    • Jackson College will contact the Supervisor or Manager of the ultrasound lab to learn if they are willing to commit to hosting a JC student for a sonography program.
    • This facility will be asked to enter into an Education Agreement with Jackson College. (This process is handled by the Allied Health Office and Jackson College’s Legal Affairs Office).

Please download the DMS Advising Fact Sheet, print a copy, sign the last page, and return it to Student Services.

Due to the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), at this time we cannot offer online courses and/or clinical externships in California.  If you can only attend a clinical externship (a requirement of all DMS programs) in the states listed above, and you are unable to relocate to a participating SARA state, you will be unable to complete a degree in any of our DMS program offerings. If you are willing to relocate to a SARA member state, please contact the Allied Health office at 517.768.7007.

Clinical opportunities are limited to the United States and we cannot serve international clinical placements at this time.