Vocal Point joins Jackson Chorale in collaboration concert, ‘The Beautiful Union of Poetry and Music’
October 11, 2019
Jackson College is pleased to announce its new choral group, Vocal Point, will present its debut concert on Sunday, Oct. 20 at 4 p.m. Entitled “The Beautiful Union of Poetry and Music,” this collaboration concert alongside the Jackson Chorale will be held at the First United Methodist Church, 275 W. Michigan Ave., Jackson.
Vocal Point is comprised of 20 Jackson College students under the direction of instructor Dr. Richard Hintze. Hintze joins the music faculty at Jackson College this year after teaching for the last three years at Spring Arbor University. “This new group, Vocal Point, is coming together well. We’re singing in six- and seven-part harmony and they sound like they have been together much longer than only six weeks.”
Hintze has worked with Chorale Music Director Wendy Treacher in the past on collaborations, so he approached her this fall about performing with the new group. Vocal Point will perform six pieces on its own, and another three with the Jackson Chorale. Pieces for Vocal Point include:
- “Tumekuja Kuimba,” by Lynn Zettlemoyer (translation: We Have Come to Sing!)
- “Thula Klizeo,” by Joseph Shabalala (translation: Be still my heart. Even here, I am at home.)
- “Voice Dance,” by Greg Jasperse
- “Oh How Beautiful, This Finely Woven Earth,” by Greg Jasperse
- “I Will Arise and Go,” by Shawn Kirchner (text by William Butler Yeats)
- “When Dreams Take Flight,” by Rollo Dilworth
And with the Jackson Chorale:
- “Heart, We Will Forget Him,” by James Mulholland (text by Emily Dickinson)
- “Songs of a Young Man,” by Richard Nance (text by A. E. Housman)
- “The Singers,” by Kent A. Newbury (text by Henry W. Longfellow)
Several Jackson College students will perform soloes within these pieces: Lydia Anuszkiewicz, Brianna Jennett, Amity Zenz, Isaac Strodtbeck, Savannah Durocher, Becky Hirschman and Kelsy Lopes.
Admission is $15 for adults, $10 for students and children. Tickets are available online at https://www.jaxmichorale.org/events/.