Parents & Family
Whether you attended college yourself or not, your “real world” knowledge and willingness to support and encourage your student can be instrumental to their success as a JCC student. Naturally, family members want to help. Here is a guide to use as you seek to assist your student. We hope you find the information useful and we invite your suggestions and your calls.
Click on a topic for more information, or click on the plus symbol "" next to a topic to view subtopics.
- One of the best gifts you can give your student is room to grow and time for college
- College is a job
- New ideas and experiences mean a new way of looking at the world; expect a change
- Your student is the one going to College
- You cannot control your student’s choices or actions, so learn to trust
- Ask questions, but not too many
- Your student will experience more pressure than you may realize
- Your student needs you to have confidence
- Your student needs support in simple ways
- What do I do if I have a question for my student’s advisor?
- Will I receive a copy of my student’s grades?
- What is the difference between dropping a class and withdrawing from a class?
- What if my student had circumstances that interfered with college?
- How is the grade point average (GPA) calculated?
- What if I don’t approve of the program of study my student chooses?
- What credit can my student get from the Career Center?
- Can students get Credit by Exam or AP Credit at JCC?
- How can we be sure that credits will transfer to other colleges?
- What does the term ‘Second Admissions’ mean?
- Do universities require a certain number of credits or semesters?
- How can we keep this transfer business straight?
- How do we go about choosing a transfer institution?
- What should we do when touring a transfer institution?
- What to ask when touring a transfer institution?
- What ACT or SAT scores count?
- What parts are in Course Placement?
- Just what is Accuplacer®?
- Do students have to take all three parts?
- How do students find out the results of Course Placement?
- Can students practice?
- How well do students usually do?
- Can Course Placement be taken more than once?
- Do students have to take the courses identified by Course Placement?
- Where do students take Course Placement?