- In the event of an immediate and life-threatening emergency: dial 911.
- Notify the switchboard operator that the emergency and that emergency vehicle is en route: dial 0.
- Notify the JC Security Office to advise that emergency vehicle is en route: Security main phone: 517.796.8620 (ext. 8620), Security Site cell phone: 517.740.7986.
The following evacuation procedures are presented as general guidelines. Each building and work area should establish procedures specific to the facility to ensure safe evacuation of students, employees and visitors.
WHEN TO EVACUATE
- In the event of fire alarm, total evacuation of the building will be IMMEDIATE AND MANDATORY.
- For other emergencies that may require partial evacuation, do not evacuate unless told to do so or danger is imminent. Security, or other responsible authority, will notify you.
- The method of NOTIFICATION of an evacuation will be identified and included in the evacuation procedures.
- All occupants should be familiar with the evacuation routes, which are posted on each floor.
- Primary evacuation routes for each floor of each building will be the nearest safe stairwell or hallway.
- Elevators are not be used for evacuation (may become inoperative/smoke hazard may develop).
- Evacuees should meet at a designated meeting point for accounting.
- “Designated meeting points” must be 500 feet from the building and fire-fighting equipment.
METHOD OF EVACUATION
- STAY CALM.
- Occupants will proceed to the nearest safe stairwell in an orderly manner, staying to the right side of the stairs if possible and exiting the building on the ground floor.
- Evacuation should begin with those persons not requiring assistance. This avoids the possibility of disabled individual(s) being injured.
- Position persons with disabilities near the stairwell farthest from danger.
- If possible, designate one person to stay with any disabled individual(s) and another to notify emergency responders of their location.
- ELEVATORS ARE NOT TO BE USED DURING AN EMERGENCY EVACUATION.
- Flashlights or emergency lighting will be useful in case of electrical power failure.
- Close office doors and windows if possible as you leave.
- Occupants must remain quiet in the evacuation process in order to hear directions.
BOMB THREAT EVACUATION
- Be alert to make a note of any unusual packages that may be in your office area.
- Do not touch the package but report it to authorities immediately.
CONDUCT FOLLOWING EVACUATION
- REMAIN CALM
- Occupants will proceed to the designated meeting point outside identified for assembly as warranted by existing conditions.
- Once in the designated meeting point, stay visible.
- Instructors and supervisors should make an accounting of occupants from their respective areas.
- Occupants not accounted for will be assumed to be missing and requiring fire fighters rescue.
- All personnel should follow instruction given by those in charge.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless JC Security, President or Leadership Team Member give the “ALL CLEAR” designation.
Emergency plan for fire
NOTIFICATION IN THE EVENT OF CONFIRMED FIRE
- Assess the situation.
- Sound fire alarms.
- Call 911 and be prepared to relay the exact physical street location and building:
- Example: “There is a fire at Jackson College, Main Campus, at the George Potter Center located near Browns Lake Road and Emmons Road.”
- Also, give specific location within a building: “The fire is on the second floor business office in room 209.”
- Call the switchboard operator (0) and the JC Security Office ext. 8620 (796.8620) and the Security Site cell phone 517.740.7986; sound the local fire alarms.
IF YOU SEE OR SMELL SMOKE OR OTHER SUSPICIOUS ODORS
- Call the JC Security Office ext. 8620 (796.8620) and the Security Site cell phone 517.740.7986.
- Alert others – Initiate voice alert. Example: “Fire, Fire, Fire!”
WHEN NOTIFIED OF FIRE IN YOUR WORK AREA OR BUILDING
- Evacuate the building.
- Do not return to your work area/building until notified by Security that it is safe to return.
IF YOU ENCOUNTER SMOKE OR FLAMES
- STAY CALM.
- Crawl low under the smoke to get to clean air.
- Reach up as high as you can and touch the doorknob with the back of your hand.
- If the doorknob is hot, use another escape route.
- If the doorknob is cool, open it cautiously and continue along your escape route.
- Evacuate using stairwells – DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Follow directions from those in authority. Proceed to the designated meeting point.
- Authorized employees: Use fire extinguisher only if you have been trained and fire is small.
Weapons on Campus
Anyone having knowledge of a weapon or an armed person on campus should immediately call 911 from any phone, and then alert the JC Security Office of the situation.
- Security main phone: 517.796.8620 (ext. 8620)
- Security cell phone: 517.740.7986
Be prepared to provide the following information to the police:
- Location of the armed person.
- Type of weapon, i.e. rifle, pistol, knife.
- Actions (and, if known, purpose) of armed individual.
- A complete description of the individual.
- Whether or not any shots have been fired.
- Your name and where you can be located if needed.
After notifying the police, notify the JC Security Office and/or appropriate dean’s office of
- Unless otherwise directed, persons on campus should remain in their office or classroom
with doors closed and locked, if possible.
- If there is danger of shots being fired or if shots have been fired, all persons should lie on
the floor and remain as calm as possible.
- Individuals should remain in a place of safety until notified by JC Security or building
emergency coordinator that any danger has been resolved.
Any student, faculty, or staff member should call the JC Security Office ext. 8620 (796.8620) and the Security Site cell phone 517.740.7986. One or more of the following may govern conduct:
- JC Board Policy – Administrative Policy – Weapons on Campus