Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

It is important to contact a Center for Student Success professional prior to the start of the semester in order to receive accommodations in a timely manner. While we will make every effort to coordinate accommodations in a timely manner, failure to self-identify prior to the start of the semester may delay notification to instructors and timeliness of acquiring accommodations. Accommodations do not automatically carry over to the next semester.

STEP 1: Go through The New Student Checklist

STEP 2: Drop off or mail a copy of your disability documentation (doctor’s note, 504 Plan, etc.) to the Center for Student Success.

STEP 3: Schedule a meeting with Monica Bouman, CSS director

STEP 4: Contact a CSS professional with questions or concerns as they arise

Accommodations should:

  • Allow a student with a disability equal participation in and benefit from all programs and activities
  • Level the playing field to avoid penalizing for disability-related factors
  • Make it possible for an instructor to fairly evaluate the student’s understanding of the material.

Accommodations should not:

  • Fundamentally alter the essential objectives of an academic program, curriculum or course, or lower the standards
  • Threaten the safety or health of self or others
  • Cause an undue financial hardship to the College
  • Cross the line between accommodations and personal devices or services

As part of the criteria in registering for accommodations, an intake appointment will occur with the CSS Director, who serves as our Disability and Inclusion Officer (Section 504 Coordinator) here at Jackson College.

During the meeting, verifiable documentation (medical documentation from a licensed medical practitioner is required, but Individual Education Plans and 504’s are also accepted) is used as guidance, but only guidance (i.e. some accommodations do not carry over from HS to College).  We will work together to discuss what accommodations are most appropriate for your current course schedule. Collaboration with content experts in the academic program (i.e. faculty, program directors) will determine if a request is essential or would fundamentally alter a course or academic program. A thorough overview of the program and course requirements and any alternative accommodations will be fully documented in order to create a plan specific to your needs. Additionally, the Disability and Inclusion Officer (Section 504 Coordinator) will ask for permission to communicate with course faculty and students will be notified of Jackson College’s Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendment Act of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) OF 1992 grievance procedure.


The agreed upon academic accommodations are then communicated to both you and the professors at the course start or at the conclusion of the intake meeting (if it occurs after the semester commences). Full documentation of this process is housed in the student’s case file which includes the date/nature of the request and any supporting documentation, along with any interaction between the College and the student. Should a requested accommodation be denied, timely written notification of the reason for the denial and a reminder of appeal options (student appeal via the College’s Student Ombudsman and/or through the College’s Section 504 grievance procedures) will be provided to you should you decide to challenge the denied request.


Thank you,

Disability and Inclusion Officer (Section 504 Coordinator)

Monica Bouman


CSS Coordinator

Sandra DiCesare


CSS Support Specialist

Ariel Maturine


Applicable Laws

High School  College 
IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990)
Section 504 Subpart D, Rehabilitation Act of 1973 Section 504, Subpart E, Rehabilitation Act of 1973
IDEA is about SUCCESS ADA is about ACCESS

Required Documentation

High School College 
IEP or 504 plan High school IEP or 504 plan may not be sufficient. Documentation guidelines specify information needed for each category of disability. Connect with the Center for Student Success for guidance.
School provides evaluation at no cost to student. Students must get evaluation at own expense.
Documentation focuses on determining whether student is eligible for services based on specific disability categories in IDEA. Documentation must provide information on specific functional limitations and demonstrate the need for specific accommodations.


High School  College 
Student is identified as student with a disability by the school and is supported by parents and teachers. Student must self-disclose disability to Disability Resources Office before accessing accommodations.
Primary responsibility for arranging accommodations belongs to the school. Primary responsibility for arranging accommodations belongs to the student.

Levels of Support

High School  College
Parents, teachers, and counselors monitor student progress and advocate for student to seek additional help as needed. Numerous supports available at the college level such as tutoring and supplemental instruction, but the student is responsible for locating and accessing those supports.
Teachers approach student if they believe student needs assistance. Professors are usually open and helpful, but most expect students to initiate contact if they need assistance.

Study Responsibilities

High School  College
Students are expected to read short assignments that are then discussed and often re-taught in class. Students are assigned significant amounts of reading and writing which may not be directly addressed in class.
Students may study outside of class as little as 0 to 2 hours a week, and this may be mostly last-minute preparation. Students need to study 2 to 3 hours outside of class for each hour in class.
Tutoring and study support may be a service provided as part of an IEP or 504 plan. Tutoring does not fall under disability resources. Students with disabilities must seek out tutoring services as they are available to all students.

High School Teachers vs. College Professors

High School Teachers College Professors 
Teachers often check completed homework. Professors often do not check for completed homework, but they will assume that students can perform the same tasks on an exam.
Teachers often remind students of missing work. Professors often do not remind students of missing work.
Teachers might provide students with material they miss when they are absent. Professors expect students to get material from their peers when they are absent.
Teachers are available to talk before and after class. Professors expect students to utilize office hours to discuss questions and concerns.
Teachers often take time to review assignment and test dates. Professors expect students to review and know information on a syllabus that outlines the course material and all due dates for assignments and exams.

Helpful Resources for Students with Disabilities