Dental Hygiene Mission and Goals
Jackson College Dental Hygiene Program Mission Statement
The mission of the Jackson College Dental Hygiene program is to advance the mission of the college by creating an environment that respects the individual, encourages learning, and promotes the success of the person. It is the expectation that this environment exists to meet the needs of the community and the profession of dentistry by providing a quality entry-level dental hygiene program.
Jackson College Dental Hygiene Program Philosophy
The day-to-day activities of the Dental Hygiene program reflect our mission. All individuals deserve to be treated with respect in all our interactions, whether in the classroom, among peers, or assisting a client in the dental hygiene clinic. Respect for the individual creates a trust between students, faculty, and staff that will be felt far beyond the classroom walls.
The Dental Hygiene program is committed to the value of lifelong learning by cultivating an environment that encourages the advancement of knowledge for all of the program’s stakeholders: students, faculty, staff, members of the dental community, and the public served by the program. The needs of all stakeholders will be tempered with the understanding that the program exists for the students. All resources will be managed for the purpose of developing caring dental hygiene professionals that will prove to be valuable assets to society.
Jackson College Dental Hygiene Program Goals
- Graduate clinically competent and ethical dental hygienists prepared as primary oral health care providers.
- Inspire the dental hygiene student to assume a leadership role as a resource person within the community by participating in service learning opportunities and to advance the profession of dental hygiene in a rapidly changing health-care conscious society.
- Understand that recognized standards of care evolve and change and that continuing education is a primary responsibility of health care providers.
- Educate students to use evidence-based problem solving and ethical reasoning to assess, diagnose, plan, implement and evaluate dental hygiene services to a diverse patient population in a variety of educational settings.
- Implement curricula to prepare graduates to successfully pass Dental Hygiene board exams and obtain licensure in the State in which they will practice dental hygiene.