Veteran Course Information

Audit Grade Option

The VA will not pay for courses that you receive audit grades. The VA may ask you for repayment for these courses.

Dropping a Course

If you drop a course or stop attending, notify your VA Certifying Official via the Benefit Certification Form online, as soon as possible. You may be asked by the VA for repayment if an overpayment situation occurs.

Military Credit

Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy: Active Duty, Reserve and Veteran students; may be eligible for prior learning credits based on submitted military transcripts. Potential credits are awarded based on military education, relevant to program of study which the student is enrolled in. To determine which credits may be applicable to your degree program please , Veteran Resource Representative, at  or 517.990.1333.

Program Changes

You must report program changes to your VA Certifying Official via the 22-1995 form. Only courses that apply to your new program can be certified to the VA.

Program Evaluation

The VA will only pay for courses that are required for your declared degree program.

Repeating a Course

Courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated; however, VA stipulations may apply. Seek guidance from your school certifying official. Courses that are successfully completed may not be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.

Transferring from another school/college

If you are transferring from another college, you must have your official transcripts sent to JCs Registrar’s Office as soon as possible for evaluation. If you’ve been receiving GI Bill® benefits, complete the Change of Place of Training form (22-1995 for Chapters 30, 31, 33, 1606, 1607) or (22-5495 for dependents or spouses of Chapter 35). Download the form from the link above.

Verifying Enrollment

Chapter 30 and 1606 students must verify with the VA, either by phone, 1-877-823-2378, or on the web, (WAVE), that you are still attending class. The earliest this can be done is the last calendar day of the each month that you have been in attendance (it doesn’t matter if it’s a Sunday or holiday). Chapter 31 & 33 students are required to verify enrollment each month via email or the VA’s texting platform. Students may also call the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).