TRiO Student Support Services
Welcome to the TRiO Student Service Program at Jackson College.
We serve students who have chosen to be in college, so that they can improve all areas of their lives. The TRiO SSS Program offers help which supports and guides the learning process.
The TRiO SSS staff works hard to build an atmosphere in which students feel accepted and comfortable. We are passionate about the success of each student in helping them move toward a certificate or degree. The goal is for each student to become successful in making their dreams come true!
We hope you are able to join us!
Project Director, TRiO & Student Support Services
TRiO is designed to:
- Increase the graduation rates of eligible students
- Increase the transfer rate of eligible students from two-year to four-year institutions.
- Support the success of students who are: limited English-speaking, from an under-represented group, individuals with disabilities, homeless children and youth, foster care youth, or other disconnected students.
- Improve the financial and economic understanding of students in areas such as:
- Basic personal income, household budgeting, and financial planning skills;
- Basic money management skills.
TRiO services are:
- One-on-one Academic Advising & Course Selection
- Financial Aid Advising/Grant Aid Assistance
- Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction & Academic Coaching
- Financial Literacy Education & Planning
- Transfer Advising & Visits to Four-Year Institutions
- Career Assessments & Personal Career Advising
- Learning Style and Study Skill Inventories
- Exclusive Workshops
- Mentoring/Community Networking
Are you Interested in becoming a TRiO Student?
A student is eligible to participate in the TRiO program if they:
- Are a citizen of the United States or meets federal citizenship requirements.
- Are enrolled at Jackson College or accepted for enrollment in the next academic term at JC in an eligible transfer program.
- Have a need for academic support, as determined by the Jackson College TRiO director.
- are either a low-income individual; a first-generation college student; or an individual with disabilities
Students in the TRiO Program must meet the following requirements to stay eligible for TRiO benefits:
- Attend regular appointments with TRiO advising staff
- Complete initial career and academic assessments
- Seek tutoring per personalized Student Education Plan
- Attend annual workshops for financial aid assistance, financial education & planning;
- Participate in transfer advising and Four-Year college visits
Students must be accepted into the TRiO program. A limited number of students are served each year. Students interested in applying should come to BW 123 or BW 117.