Students must complete a Jackson College application for admission, complete the required online admissions orientation, and call Student Services at 517.796.8425 to join the lineworker waitlist and receive additional information about the program.
Prepare for a career in the utility industry with a new lineworker program offered in cooperation with Consumers Energy.
As part of the EMPOWER Lineworker Pre-Apprenticeship Program, students gain the skills needed to become apprentice lineworkers. These are the utility workers who install, maintain and repair the power lines that move electricity. They may inspect and test power lines and equipment, and identify defective devices, voltage regulators, transformers and switches.
In this program, students take classes in safety, fitness, basic electricity, and energy industry fundamentals, as well as a series of climbing courses through Consumers Energy. Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to interview to become apprentice lineworkers at Consumers Energy, with the opportunity to work toward a certified journeyman card and competitive wages and benefits.* (Note: Completion of this program does not guarantee employment with Consumers Energy.)
- Learn basics of electricity and safety, along with fitness and climbing.
- The program consists of seven classes, including a climbing orientation and lab held at a Consumers Energy Training Facility.
Jackson College Offers the following program options:
For more information on the EMPOWER Lineworker Pre-Apprenticeship Program, please contact Jackson College Admissions .
How to Apply
To apply for the lineworker pre-apprenticeship program:
- Apply for admission to Jackson College through the online application and select Lineworker certification on the application.
- You will receive an acceptance e-mail that will include online orientation steps. After completing online orientation, Admissions will contact you to be added to the waitlist and notify you of your cohort start date.
- Check your e-mail regularly. Once your cohort is ready to begin, your student success navigator will contact you by e-mail to schedule your advising appointment for class registration.