Weather closings & cancellations
In case of severe weather conditions, emergencies and/or other situations, the president of the College or his designee will determine if locations will be closed and/or classes cancelled.
Jackson College utilizes Nixle for sending information about college closings and alerts. Sign up with Nixle and receive messages on your cell phone (message and data rates may apply) and e-mail. If you wish to receive notifications regarding Jackson College and you live outside of Jackson County, please list the Central Campus location as your home address (2111 Emmons Road, Jackson, MI 49201)
- When will decisions about the College closing be made?
When severe weather conditions exist in the morning, the college president may consult with JC Safety and Security personnel and when possible, make the determination no later than 5 a.m.
If the College is open and severe weather or other conditions develop, the conditions will be evaluated and if possible, a decision regarding the cancellation of evening classes will be made by 2 p.m. Any individual location or all campus locations may be closed and/or classes cancelled. (These are guidelines; weather conditions may change quickly, influencing decisions.)
- Will I be notified about the College closing?
In the event of a closure or cancellation, the following communication strategies will be enacted:
- Notification will be sent by Nixle alert system. Sign up for Nixle alerts.
- Information will be posted on the JC website (www.jccmi.edu), Facebook page and e-mail messages sent to the JC employee and student e-mail accounts;
- Local TV and radio stations are notified; however, the College cannot guarantee that any station will broadcast the information;
- Telephone message will be updated on the College’s main phone number; 787.0800;
- Telephone tree call system for administration and employees.
- What about my class?
Students and employees should assume that the College is open, classes are continuing as scheduled unless and until a specific announcement canceling classes is issued.
Students should contact and keep in touch with their instructor/s to be updated on assignments and expectations.
For students who are involved with clinicals, internships and other work assignments, please communicate with your instructors and your supervisors on procedures in the event of closures and cancellations.
- What if the College is open but I’m uncomfortable going out?
If the College is open during severe weather conditions, it is each driver’s responsibility to decide whether to travel. The College is educating students for the workplace, so our closing policy is much like a business or agency. If you are uncomfortable driving and want to miss class, please communicate (e-mail, call) your instructor, let them know, and inquire about make-up assignments. Instructors will vary on their policy – please ask and be prepared.