Foundation welcomes Christopher Simpson to Board of Directors
March 3, 2021
The Jackson College Foundation is pleased to welcome Christopher Simpson to its Board of Directors.
Simpson brings a distinguished record with decades of service to our country and community. Most recently, he was appointed undersheriff of Jackson County in December 2020. Raised in Jackson, Simpson graduated from Jackson High School, Jackson Community College, and earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Spring Arbor University. He served in the United States Army and the Michigan Army National Guard, retiring as a Command Sergeant Major (E-9) after 30 years’ service.
Simpson served the Jackson Police Department from 1991-2017 in many assignments – narcotics, school liaison, training administrator, SRT, honor guard, and major crimes. Most recently, he worked with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs before taking the undersheriff’s post.
Active in the community, Simpson has served on executive boards for Domestic Violence Coordinating Council, Jackson Human services Coordinating Alliance, Jackson YMCA, Jackson County Foundation, Highfields, Jackson Chamber of Commerce, Jackson County NAACP (former 1st Vice President), Law Enforcement Executive Action Forum, and Jackson Aware Shelter.
Some of his awards and recognition include:
- 25 military medals and numerous citations
- Jackson Police Term Awards, Meritorious Awards (3), Honor Guard, Field Training, Special Response Team,
- Unit citations (6), JNET Award
- Jackson County Prosecutors Office “Officer of the Month”
- Jackson Chamber of Commerce Pat Carlton Community Leadership Award
- Jackson County NAACP leadership citations (3) as 1st Vice President
- All American Security Citizen of the Year Award
- Jackson’s Women Negro Businessman of the Year Award
The Jackson College Foundation is a nonprofit organization that expands access to education at Jackson College. A 15-member Board of Directors governs the Foundation.