Nominations sought for 2024 King Medal of Service Award
October 24, 2023
Do you know someone who has gone above and beyond in service to their community? Nominate them today for the Jackson College Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Medal of Service Award!
Jackson College is now accepting nominations for the 2024 award which honors individuals and organizations who give time, talent and resources to make our community a better place. The award recognizes community service and devotion to King’s ideals in Jackson County. Medal will be awarded during the Jackson College King Celebration in January.
Applications are currently available online at https://forms.office.com/r/xbe9gCTWXV . The deadline to submit the application is Wednesday, Nov. 8 by 5 p.m. The award criteria recognize those who are committed to carrying out the dream of Dr. King in several areas:
- Belief in the basic tenets of cultural and ethnic diversity,
- Giving back to the community through volunteerism and service,
- Support and promotion of educational opportunities for underrepresented populations in Jackson County,
- Promoting financial opportunities for poorer citizens of Jackson County,
- Guiding youth and offering opportunities for social and moral development, giving them tools to interact socially with the broader culture, and
- Working toward a safe community and reduction of crime in Jackson County.
Recent winners of the award include Anthony Parker (2023), Monica Pierce (2022), Benny Poole (posthumously 2021), Arlene Robinson (2020), Harold White Jr. (2019), and Alan Wade (2018).