Welcome to the TRIO Student Support Services program!
We serve students who have chosen to be in college, so that they can improve all areas of their lives. The TRIO SSS program offers assistance which guides the learning process.
Staff members work hard to build an atmosphere in which students feel accepted and comfortable. We are passionate about the success of each student. It is the goal of TRIO to help students to graduate with a degree and/or certificate.
TRIO SSS is a 100% federally funded program at Jackson College. Our main goal is to assist TRIO students in graduating from Jackson College with a certificate, degree, and/or transfer to a four-year institution of higher education. The TRIO department also strives to ensure that students are well rounded academically and personally. This means that they are involved on campus, in the community, and within the TRIO program.
TRIO offers a support system for students who may not otherwise have one, with services that focus on supporting the whole student, beyond just academic performance.
All of the services provided by TRIO are geared towards helping the students to gain skills that will allow them to be successful students, involved community members, and active TRIO students/alumni.
- Academic & Career Advising
- Monthly Workshops
- 4-year College Visits
- Personal Counseling
- Semester Progress Reports
- Leadership Opportunities
- College & Community Resources
- Career Preparation
- Social & Cultural Events
- College Application Assistance
- Financial Literacy & Financial Aid Assistance
- Mentorship Programs
We inspire and empower students to fulfill their life and academic goals.
The Jackson College TRIO Student Support Services program will be a model program, recognized for best practices and strategies in promoting retention and graduation of its participants.
- We believe in our students.
- We believe in providing the assistance and mentoring needed to help students achieve academic success.
- We believe each student has the ability to become an independent learner.
- We believe in a welcoming environment.
- We value diversity and inclusion.
- We value educational achievement.
- We value lifelong learning.
One of the following must be met…
- First Generation College Student (neither parent or legal guardian graduated with a bachelor degree)
- Student with a Documented Disability (504, IEP, etc.)
- Income-Eligible Student (as determined by federal guidelines)
- Meet with each of your instructors (in-person) at least once during their office hours.
- Meet with the TRIO Academic Advisor to discuss next semester course selection and complete an Student Education Plan (SEP).
Yearly (September 1st – August 31st)
- Attend one Workshop
- Attend one Social Event
- Attend one Cultural Outing
Before completion of the TRIO program
- Finish a certificate or degree before transferring or graduating from Jackson College.
- Attend one Financial Literacy Workshop.
- Attend one Time Management Workshop.
- Attend at least one 4-year College Visit
- Always seek help from a TRIO staff member before going to another department/program.
- Meet with the TRIO Academic Advisor before withdrawing/dropping from a class.
- Aspire to be a role model for other students so that I may be asked to become a mentor for a new TRIO student.
- If you are on the H-list, you will complete five hours of study each week until your instructor confirms you have improved. This will be for every class you receive an H in.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is TRIO Student Support Services?
TRIO-Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded program that provides tutoring, academic advising, financial literacy workshops, campus visits, and cultural event activities.
Who can participate in TRIO?
Students that are first-generation college students (neither parent or legal guardian graduated with a bachelor degree); income-eligible student (as determined by federal guidelines); and students with a documented disability.
Why should I apply?
TRIO-SSS provides a personal college “safety net” from the first year through graduation. The program can help you build on your strengths and address your areas of concern. By becoming a participant, you will gain access to services and opportunities not available to other students on campus.
If I join TRIO-SSS, what am I required to do?
TRIO-SSS participants are required to participate in academic advising, tutoring, cultural events, and campus visits.
Can TRIO-SSS help with the transition to college life?
Yes! TRIO-SSS makes the transition smoother by connecting TRIO students to campus resources.
I would like to meet more students like me. How can TRIO-SSS help?
TRIO-SSS arranges many cultural and educational events each semester. These include trips museums, college and university campus visits, and local historic and cultural sites. The TRIO-SSS program also offers a variety of campus activities that participants can attend together.
I have declared a major, but I am not sure it’s right for me. Can TRIO-SSS help?
Absolutely! TRIO-SSS academic advisors as well as referrals to career counselors can assist you with making a decision that is right for you.
Does it cost money to join?
No – all services are supported and funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
How long can I be in the program?
Until you graduate and/or transfer to another college.
Students must be accepted into the TRIO program. A limited number of students are served each year. The TRIO Student Support Service project at Jackson College is 100% funded by the U.S. Department of Education, with an annual budget of $261,888.
Student success navigators serve not only as academic advisors but as a student’s academic, financial and total resource advocate or coach. They are part of a new initiative at the College focusing on student success. Students will have an assigned navigator to meet with for advising and any questions they may have. Navigators will serve as the “go-to” person to help students throughout the college experience.
Student Success Navigator - TRIO
Current TRIO Students
TRIO provides a host of services for students such as, tutoring, academic advising, locating scholarships & grants, cultural enrichment activities, opportunities to advocate for TRIO, professional development, workshops, and employment.
If there is a useful resource that is not posted on our TRIO page please let us know and we might be able to accommodate you.
The TRIO Student Support Service project at Jackson College is 100% funded by the U.S. Department of Education, with an annual budget of $261,888.
TRIO Student Resources
*Click on the links below to be forwarded to web pages or e-mails to setup an appointment.
Request for Tutoring
- TRIO Math Tutor – Nicole Garcia
- TRIO Reading Tutor – Nicole Garcia
- Center for Student Success Tutoring
- Khan Academy
- Time Management
- Financial Literacy
- My Math Lab – Nicole Garcia
Scholarship Resources Guide
Health Related Resources
Bert Walker Hall
2111 Emmons Road
Jackson, MI 49201
E-mail: Tyrone Green , Director
TRiO SSS Intake/Academic Support
TRIO Program Coordinator
TRIO Project Director
Student Success Navigator - TRIO