Education Benefits

Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill® – Chapter 30.

At least two years on active duty and contributed $1,200 to your GI Bill® fund and were honorably discharged.

Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Chapter 33

At least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or be discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® became effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. Post 9/11 pamphlet is available.

IMPORTANT – If you are currently receiving benefits under Chapter 30 or 1606 and you apply on, you are required to make a decision that is irrevocable (cannot be changed) to give up one of the other programs you are eligible for. However, if you completely exhaust your entitlement under your current Chapter before the effective date of your Chapter 33 election, you may receive up to 12 additional months of benefits under Chapter 33. Choose your effective date for Chapter 33 carefully. Please notify the JC VA Certifying Official that you submitted an application on

Dependents Educational Benefits – Chapter 35

Child (18-26 years) or spouse of a veteran determined to be 100% disabled or deceased due to military related injuries. If you are 26 years of age or under and are collecting chapter 35 benefits you are eligible for the Children of Veteran Tuition Grant for the state of Michigan.

Reservists/National Guard – Chapter 1606

You must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Reserves or Guard and be currently in good standing with your unit.

Federal/State Tuition Assistance or MYCAA

Students planning to use Federal or State Tuition Assistance (TA) must first consult their respective branch/unit Education Services Officer (ESO) or education counselor for program approval prior to requesting TA through the respective service portal. Access to the branch-specific service portals are listed below:

For more education benefit information please visit

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affiairs (VA).