Commercial’s Drivers License (CDL) Class A
Jackson College is currently not offering a CDL Class A program, however, we are partnering with Washtenaw Community College and Trainco Truck Driving Schools to provide CDL-A training programs at Washtenaw Community College’s campus in Ann Arbor, MI.
We encourage you to fill out the interest form if you are interested in the Trainco Truck Driving School at Washtenaw Community College.
PROJECTED JOB OPENINGS
All Applicants Must:
- Be 21 or older to drive a CMV across state lines (interstate) or 18 years or older to drive CMV in Michigan
- Pass pre-enrollment drug screen
- Complete and pass DOT physical
- Pass CDL eligibility check
- Agree to background check
- Be able to read and speak English fluently
- Possess a valid Michigan driver’s license with no suspension or revocation in the last 36 months
- Other medical/physical qualifications may apply
Applicants Cannot Possess:
- Felonies within the past 7 years
- DWI or DUI within the past 5 years
- Any at-fault accidents in the past 1 year
- Careless or reckless driving within the past 3 years
What Can I Expect?
- Week One: Virtual classroom lectures and interactive presentations will prepare you to take the commercial driving permit test. The permit test will need to be completed before weeks two and three can continue.
- Week Two: After commercial driving permit is obtained, training takes place in the training yard with different exercises and professional instructors.
- Week Three: Students train on the road in low-traffic areas then gradually work to the highway. During this time, focus is on traffic situations that may occur during the CDL test.
What Will I Learn?
- Road safety
- Pre-trip inspections
- Importance of permits
- Driving in all weather conditions
- Road test
- DOT drug screen
- DOT medical exam
- Cost of commercial leaner’s permit
Ability to drive following vehicles
- Tank vehicles
- Livestock carriers
- Truck/trailer combinations
- Flatbed driver
- Local delivery driver
- Truck driving school instructors
- Short and long-haul truck drivers
- Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers